Monday, May 17, 2010

Home manager

I don't know about you but I really need to get a handle on this job of mine. I went to Costco on Saturday and spent $236. Doesn't sound so bad to some people I know but I went over the budget my husband sent me with.

Yes, I bought a rice cooker that I could have done without. However, I've been talking about a rice cooker for ages and I decided that was the day to get it. (Along with 25 lbs. of rice.) In addition I bought a shelter umbrella thing (http://sklz.com/umbrella/sport-brella?gclid=CInarbHJ2aECFY9M5QodjzQgIg) which is something I tried to buy last year but they were sold out. (PS - they are $40 at Costco versus $60 that I've seen everywhere else.)

SO, yes... I could have saved $70 from that purchase total but I don't think I was extravagant in my purchases. Everything else was food and household management. Now that I've gone over budget, I don't have any cash for the regular old grocery run that I might need to make.

It is time for me to figure out how to build up a pantry (in the basement) for a longer term supply of items than just one week's worth. Buying groceries at Giant one week at a time is expensive. We went on Friday and bought about two days worth of food and spend over $100! That's crazy.

Soo... on my hunt for ideas I've found The Frugal Girl's blog. (http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/) She seems to have some good ideas that I'm going to try. But if you have any other sites or ideas about helping me get our food budget under control and how to manage my home more effectively, PLEASE SHARE! I need to know.

 
Blog Design by Split Decisionz